Hot Tub Rash

hot-tub-rash
Hot tub rash is a common type of folliculitis also known as hot tub folliculitis, officially named and caused by the bacteria pseudomonas aeruginosa folliculitis.

The bacteria Pseudomonas aeruginosa grows in contaminated warm water and wet areas which also commonly grows in soil, this is the bacteria that causes the hot tub rash.

Folliculitis is a skin condition that infects the hair follicles, hairs on your body grow through tiny pockets called follicles.
This means that any part of your body that has hairs, no matter how small can catch hot tub folliculitis.

The infected hair follicles inflame causing redness, pain and swelling but hot tub rash is rather embarrassing as it may look and feel uncomfortable. The rash can appear anywhere on the body except the soles of your feet and the palms of your hands. The good news is that it is not usually a serious illness, but in cases when it is serious you may need to visit your doctor.

This bacteria can grow in any sort of warm water but it mainly infects spa, hot tub and jacuzzi users because the water being used is always heated.

Swimming pools also have chance to grow the bacteria but it is less likely since the water is usually cold meaning the chlorine doesn’t get destroyed as quickly.

Pseudomonas aeruginosa will multiply in water that has lowered in disinfectant and chlorine levels, it won’t totally disappear and become safe to reuse instead next time the pH levels drop the bacteria will increase.

Hot tubs are of course attractive because of relaxing in a heated tub whether on your own, with friends or family but with the water being warm this opens up your pores allowing any contaminated water to enter your hair follicles.

If the hot tub water is contaminated the bacteria that lives in the water will infect the skin and anyone who is in the hot tub will become exposed and infected at the same time.

Unfortunately hot tub folliculitis is a common occurrence and many people do not consider treating their hot tub water, it may look fine and attractive to hop into, but without the water’s pH and chlorine levels being monitored and treated correctly to kill this bacteria it will thrive.